Tuesday, December 27, 2005

KBON 101.1

I'm a Texan, born and bred, and am as proud of that fact as most any other in my life. But, I do love Louisiana, especially New Orleans and anywhere else South of IH 10 (i.e. Cajun Country), the land of the displaced Acadians from Nova Scotia as immortalized in Longfellow's Evangeline.

There's a great story behind their relocation and if you ever want to take a vacation and see an oft disregarded part of our country's heritage, travel the roads of the Bayou Country of South Louisiana, soaking up the beauty, culture and history of a separate and distinct group of Americans. It's worth the trip. Be sure and stop in St. Martinsville and see the Cajun Heritage Museum and read and listen to the story of the Acadian diaspora. It's a sad but beautiful tale from a very early part of our Country's history.

While on the story of South Louisana, they have a great little radio station there that webcasts all day long. KBON 101.1 (FM) broadcasting to Mamou, Eunice Ville Platte, Opelousas and Lafayette (et al), I love listening to them. They play pretty much a combination of Cajun, Zydeco, 50's & 60's Pop and Classic Country in a great mix, complete with occasional D.J. comments. It's just a great listen. Their URL is: http://www.kbon.com/ and the home page has a "click on" for live listening. I frequently have it playing in my office while I'm working. Matter of fact I'm listening at the moment, wishing I was there.

Hope all had a Merry First Day of Christmas and continue to have a Holy Christmas Season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home