Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beware of the Ides of March

Am reminded that today is March the 15th., the day of my Father's birth. He was born in 1916 and were he alive today he would be 91 years of age. The date was always easy to remember as it was the Ides of March.

Shakespeare's line tells us to look toward March 15th with foreboding and in my relationship with him that certainly was the case. And not just with regards to his birthday, mind you; our bond was tumultuous at best. But, with that being said, I feel we made peace with each other a few years before he died in his mid 80's. None the less, what a waste of a lifetime of relationship.

Was reading RLP today and he had a poignant comment about his oldest child (a daughter) leaving home for good. I was struck by the number of comments regarding children growing up and spreading their wings. I really didn't know how to respond to that posting, I'm usually not at a loss for words. But, in this case it's difficult because the relationship was such there was not much to miss. Such a shame.

Anyway Daddy, if you're out there reading somewhere,

Happy Birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home