Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Monotheism

A blog I read posed the question: "In light of the telecast on the Jesus Family Tomb, a question rises as to whether a non-physical resurrection would effect your faith." I felt compelled to answer and herewith follows my reply.

Have not seen the Discovery telecast of the "Jesus Family Tomb"; however, as with most things, I do have an opinion.

Yes, it would have a definite effect on my faith. As a Christian I believe and accept the words of the Nicene Creed "I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ ... only Son of God ... begotten not made ... of one substance with the Father ... was incarnate by the power of the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary ... was crucified for us ... suffered and was buried, and the third day he arose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into Heaven ..."

My issue is one whereby if I cannot accept Christ as God come down to redeem His Creation through His death and Resurrection, then I begin to approach Christ as a Prophet, not a part of the Triune Godhead; but something more akin to the Islamic faith and Mohammed’s position. If Christ had not been raised, then I think I would look to the Jewish faith for sustenance, for it is in the Resurrection that God fully manifests His power and dominion. When it becomes that Christ loses His Divinity, he becomes that prophet who is worthy to read and to learn from His teachings rather than God Incarnate.

But at heart I’m monotheistic and then cannot equate the man (less His Divinity) with a part of the Trinity. As an Episcopalian and Anglican, I’m taught that we accept those pronouncements emanating from the Great Church Councils united as absolute truth while all else is open to understanding. They ultimately pronounced the bodily Resurrection true so I’ll stand with 1200 years of learning following 800 years of debate. Paul puts it most succinctly in his Letter to the Church at Corinth:

If there is no resurrection from the dead, then Christ has not been raised; and if Christ has not been raised, then our proclamation has been in vain and your faith has been in vain. We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified of God that He raised Christ – whom He did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised. If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. I Corinthians 15:13-17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home