Friday, October 22, 2010

RIP - June & Mr. "C"

For a couple of days now, I’ve meant to acknowledge the passing of Barbara Billingsley (June Cleaver, the “Beaver’s” Mom) and Tom Bosley (Howard Cunningham or Mr. “C” as the Fonz would say).

They were characters I grew up with (along with Ozzie & Harriet and the Andersons of Father Knows Best) that seemed to define what was right about nuclear families of the era and the relationships therein.

I suggest those programs defined my concept of how family relationships could work and in turn determined how I would attempt parent my children. They offered good examples, albeit sometimes sanitized of the true facts of life, and while idealistic, set that benchmark to strive towards. They presented essentially good people, in good and bad times, attempting to live a positive life in relation to those with whom they interacted. Sure, they made mistakes occasionally, but only out of good intent and they called us to do the same.

You characters provided guidance and I hope made me a better person. Thanks for your portrayals and thanks to the writers who had the good sense to offer good positive models.

Rest in peace, y’all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home