Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Grace appears in the strangest of places

I'm one of those emailers who is always filling up your mailbox with things I find interesting. Probably a bunch of it is dumped, but now and then something does have attention paid to it.

Yesterday I emailed a group of Episcopal friends as well as the Episcopal portion of my EFM group a humorous snippet about Episcopalians that resonated with me. It reportedly was adapted from an essay by Garrison Keillor.

This morning I got back an email from one of my EFM group who said in part:
"...On a more serious note, this paragraph hit home - I do believe this, people: Episcopalians, who love to sing in four-part harmony are the sort of people you could call up when you're in deep distress. If you are dying, they will comfort you. If you are lonely, they'll talk to you. And if you are hungry, they'll give you tuna salad!

I will expound on this ... but suffice to say, 'I saw all of this and more given to a close relative, by a church that had never set eyes upon her before she barged into their parish and cared for her until her death. If ever there was a way to illustrate grace, this would be it'."
How about that, I sent out a funny that returned to me a sermon. Guess you never can tell when you'll be struck by Grace.

1 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Funny how it takes a Baptist preacher in Texas to connect two Episcopalians. :)

I especially like this line from the essay:

"It's natural for Episcopalians to sing in harmony. We
are too modest to be soloists, too worldly to sing in unison."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home