Monday, March 04, 2013

Flameout, Flameout. EJECT, EJECT, EJECT!!!

On the way to Worship Service yesterday, wife & I were conversing about, of all things, movies – in particular the Bruce Willis series “Die Hard” and the Mel Gibson series “Lethal Weapon”. We could remember Bruce Willis and “Die Hard’ as well as Mel Gibson and all the co-stars in his series, but for several minutes the name of his films escaped us both. It did finally come to mind.

Which brings me to my point. I’ve long said: “I could be the richest man on earth if I could figure out a way to ‘defrag’ the human brain.” In that conversation wife mentioned that many of the younger teachers and associates at her school presented the same memory problems that we experience, at our advancing age. I don’t believe I’m suffering Alzheimer’s or dementia but it causes me some concern from time to time that I can’t pull up something I know I should be able to. She led me outside myself to the thought it’s a more widespread problem within society at large than I’d previously considered.

Which brought me to the concern: “With the plethora of data at our fingertips and our constant desire for stimulation; we, as a society, could well be suffering from information overload.” Not necessarily a good thing, IMHO. Is it possible the “Law of Unintended Consequences” is presenting our and future generations with information overload while we are failing to develop adequate abilities to deal with all that data. Or, in other words, are we losing our abilities towards rational decision making as a result of too much input for our processor to handle?

Inquiring minds want to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home